Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Favorite Cold Day Treat

It's been extremely cold in Ohio lately, with temperatures in the single digits and windchill in the negative. If the temperature would drop just a couple more degrees school would be cancelled, and I walk to school everyday. I complain if the temperature even drops below 40 degrees, LOL. I am not a winter person what-so-ever, I hate the cold, and I have a strong disliking of snow unless it closes school. But I know there's nothing I can do to change the weather, and the best I can do is find something to make the most of it. 

After stumbling through the bitter cold on a day like today, I like to come home and curl up in a blanket by my computer,  next to my heater, with a cup hot chocolate. I've always loved to drink hot chocolate after coming inside on a cold day, ever since I was a little girl that actually liked to play in the snow, and even now that I'm a senior in high school and can't stand the winter. I've always loved the hot chocolate with mini marshmallows, but I also loved putting in my own marshmallows as well. I remember when I was in middle school, the first thing I would do when i got home was heat up some water, and grab a packet of hot chocolate mix and some marshmallows. It was always something nice to come home from after a long day of school.

Recently, I found a way to make my hot chocolate taste even better! I had always mixed my hot chocolate into hot water in the past in the past and it was delicious, but sometimes it tasted a little more like, water, rather then hot chocolate and it wasn't as flavorful as it could have been. So a couple weeks ago, I decided to try to make hot chocolate using hot milk, instead of hot water. It was absolutely amazing! The flavor seemed much richer in the milk than the water. I also didn't burn my tongue on the hot chocolate made with milk, primarily because I heated it for a shorter amount of time.

If you decide to replace water with milk for hot chocolate, be sure that you don't over heat the milk, you don't want it to boil. I heat my milk for 1 minute and 30 seconds in the microwave. You may need to make alterations to how long you heat it for based on how hot you want it, the size of your cup, and how fast your microwave heats the milk. After the milk is heated you can mix in your hot chocolate like you would in hot water. If you haven't already tried hot chocolate in milk you should most definitely try it! :)

Do you prefer hot chocolate in hot water or milk? Do you use a combination of both water and milk? 

No comments:

Post a Comment