Sunday, July 21, 2013

Product Review: NYC Skin Matching Foundation

As I have mentioned a few times in the past, I am really tight with my money. I don't typically like to spend a whole lot on one product. Typically I can't see myself buying a product that costs more then $5.00, if it's for only one color or product. However, with a few past purchases I have found that spending more even just a little more money to get a good drugstore brand is worth it. I found this with my two current favorite Maybelline mascaras, where the quality was significantly better than off brand, cheaper, products. I have also found that trying to penny pinch on make-up and buying the cheapest thing you could find could be more of a waste of money than saving money, when those couple dollars could have went towards a higher quality product. Sadly, with my NYC Skin Matching Foundation, this was one of those cases. 

Before I start to tell you why I don't like this product, I have to let you know that I am not trying to bash  New York Colors in any way. They do have some decent products that are perfect for someone on a budget, or that can't afford more expensive make-up. This foundation just did not work well for me, but it may work for others. 

I bought this product primarily because I was running low on the liquid foundation that I had, and I needed to get a new one. Me not particularly wanting to spend a whole lot of money on foundation, I went for the one of the cheapest things that was available in the make-up section, and picked up NYC's Skin Matching Foundation for about $3.00. Not that bad of a price really, but I found that when I went to use it, it did not work at all for me. As I tried applying this product with my fingers it felt really gritty, as if I was rubbing mud on my face kind of. It felt like as I was trying to blend it into my skin, it was coming off in little beads. It did not blend well at all, and the product itself just felt really cheap. I also had a few issues with the packaging itself and getting the product out of the tube, but that maybe have just been me. Sometimes I would squeeze it a little and nothing would come out, than I would squeeze just a little more and product would get everywhere and make a mess. 

Another thing I found with this product that goes along with the gritty feeling and beading off, is that when I would go to apply other products once I got somewhat blended, sometimes it would get gritty and feel like its coming off when I went over it with powder or blush, just from the brush I was using. I did try applying this foundation with a brush a few times, but that didn't work much better for me. I also felt I had to be really careful with blush, as it seemed to make the blush a little to dark. I was able to get some satisfactory looks out of this product sometimes, but never what I was really going for. It also appeared to go on much darker on some days than others and just not look right. I can't say it's the worst product I ever tried. It didn't burn and cause instant (literal instant) breakouts. And yes, I did have that experience with a product once, not fun. :S

All in all, I just didn't like this product much. But I only paid $3.00 for it so I can't complain to much. Perhaps next time I'll look for something a little more expensive and it may work much better. I would not recommend this foundation, but that doesn't mean you can't get it if you want to try it. This is only my experience with this product. If you have used this product, love it or hate it, let me know what you think of it. If you enjoy it, is there a better way to apply it? NYC is still a good brand, and I enjoy some of their products, especially their low priced nail polish, it's just this product I ran into issues with. 

*FTC Disclaimer: I purchased this product with my own money, I did not get this product for free. I am not being paid for this review. All opinions are 100% honest,and are my own. This is not meant as a bashing review, I am simply sharing my opinion on this product. 

6 comments:

  1. Aww,so cool I have a similar one and I love it.^^
    I really like your blog. Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Ness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to follow you on bloglovin

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the follow.
    Follow you back on bloglovin and gfc,too.
    Do you also follow me on gfc?
    Lovely greets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome and thank you! I followed you on gfc as well. :)

      Delete
  3. I can't say that I've ever had much luck with NYC products, unfortunately. It's a shame, too because they're so inexpensive. Thanks for the review! :)

    Sarah xx
    http://sarahxoxo95.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame. I have had some luck with some products, but certainly not this one or the pencil eyeliners when I think of it. Thanks for reading. :)

      Delete