Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Keeping Your New Years Resolutions

Many of us make several different New Year's resolutions. Perhaps you want to lose some weight to look, and feel better. Or we want to break a bad habit, try new things, become better as a person, or even start focusing more on something we enjoy doing. Sometimes we do really well with them, other times we don't. And I'm going to be completely honest with you guys, I often find them hard to keep. We all know that it's easy to say we are going to do something, but actually carrying it out is the hard part. I often find myself getting disappointed when things don't work out as planned right away, and I'm sure that many others have as well. And as the days move along, the excitement of a New Year often subsides, along with some of our resolutions. 

This year, one of my New Year's resolutions is to keep trying, even if thing's don't work out as planned in the beginning. Always remember, nobody's perfect, especially when it comes to trying to new things or breaking a bad habit, or when trying to make improvements to your own outlook on life. It's sort of like you won't be a pro make-up artist the first time you put on make-up, or a professional athlete the first time you step onto the field or court. Nor can you expect to completely lose a bad habit, change your entire outlook on life, or start doing great in one or your lesser subjects right away. Whatever the goal is, you need to work at it, and never ever give up!

Make plans for how you're going to go about your New Year's resolutions, and be realistic. If one of your goals is to lose a few pounds, or to just become a little healthier, you can't just say "I will not eat any sweets and I'll only eat 3 meals a day." This would be difficult to stick to, especially if you're anything like me and tend to eat at the first sign of hunger, or as a reaction to boredom or stress. Something more like, "I will limit the amount of sweets I eat, make healthier snack choices, and drink more water rather than constantly eating," would be much easier to stick to, and allows you some leeway. Or if one of your New Year's resolutions is to do better in a certain class, you might want to start asking that teacher, even if you don't like them very much, for help.

Don't forget to reward yourself for following your plans, if gives you something to look forward to. A week of healthy eating can be rewarded by a nice desert at the end of the week. Or getting a certain score on a big test or report card can be rewarded by buying a new outfit, or beauty product you've always wanted to try. Whatever you choose as your reward, just be sure it's something that makes you happy. Perhaps your reward can even be the satisfaction of success. 

Let's make 2013 the best year yet. Remember, every year has it's up's and down's. Always live every day to the fullest and keep your head up! :) What do you want to accomplish this year? 

Here are some of my New Year's resolutions for 2013 :)

-Start eating healthier, and get into better shape. I tend to eat whenever, and whatever. I'll even eat a large meal late at night around bedtime, simply because I'm bored or upset, eek! And I'll mostly go for sugar filled snacks throughout the day, not just as special treats. This is a habit that I certainly need to break. I need to better plan out my meals, and start eating something for breakfast (and potato chips are NOT for breakfast), drink more water in place of some of my snacks, and choose smaller and healthier snacks to satisfy my hunger, and turn to something I enjoy doing rather than food when my emotions are getting the better of me. And of course some light exercises are in order as well.

-Move Forward with life. I'm about to enter my very last semester of high school. It's time to start growing up, and letting go of the past. The past is the past, and as much as we'd all love to sometimes, we can't go back to it. I need to focus more on the friends I have now, rather than wishing I could have some of my friends from 2 years ago back. Life's to short to worry about what happened yesterday. And not only do I need to enjoy the present, but I also need to start working towards the future. I really need to get to work on searching for a good college, I'm already behind, and this is the year to get of my lazy behind and find a job. Perhaps I could even try to get a job at one of my favorite stores. 

-Try to be better as a person. This year, I should start being a little more social with people I wouldn't normally talk to. Even giving someone a simple smile or hello can really make someone's day. It wouldn't hurt to say good morning to someone walking down the street on my way to school, rather then turning up the music on my iPod and looking away just because I'm a grump in the morning. I'd also like to start helping my mom out a little more by doing a few things around the house, and even try to get involved more in the community. 

-Break bad habits. Everyone has a bad habit of some kind, and some are worse then others. My worst habits would probably be procrastination, a terrible sleep schedule, and bored/ emotional eating. Nail biting is also a very nasty habit that I need too break. 

-I want to really focus on the things that I love. I absolutely love beauty, and I love blogging. I want to try new make-up looks and hairstyles, and share them with you. I want to really get a start on having my own beauty channel on YouTube, and write the best blog posts I can for you guys, and get videos and blog posts out as often as I can. I'm hoping to upload a video to YouTube sometime this, or next week. If you are interested, my channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelicGlitter feel free to subscribe to my channel, as well a follow my blog posts. :) 

-And finally.... NEVER GIVE UP!

1 comment:

  1. Omg procrastinating is my worst habit too!
    Great post btw.

    Could you check out my resolutions?

    http://www.itsmiraclewhip.com/

    ReplyDelete