Sunday, May 12, 2013

(Post) Prom Series: Thinking WAY Ahead

Most schools have already had their prom, or will very soon, as the rest of the school year winds down. The prom shopping and excitement for this year is all done. Now it's just the wait for summer vacation, and graduation for seniors to come in a couple weeks. Anyhow, I had a great time at prom, and I hope that all of you that went had a good time too! I know that a lot of you probably didn't go for several reasons; not old enough, you didn't have a date (trust me though, you can still have fun without a date), or maybe prom just really isn't your thing. But if you have any wish, at all, to go to prom, then you most definitely should. It's a really fun and memorable night. 

I do know however, sometimes the reason that some people don't go to prom is because they just can't afford it. And believe me, I know how expensive prom can get. Dresses can range anywhere from a $100-$500 or more. Then getting your hair, make-up, and nails done, not to mention accessories and prom tickets, can add a lot more to it. Some people just simply can't afford to pay that much for one night. However, this shouldn't completely stop you from going... There are ways to save a lot of money. Choosing to do your own hair, make-up, and nails can save a ton of money already. You can also save a lot of money on your dress if you think way ahead.

My Prom Dress, It Was Only $10!
Do you guys wanna know a little secret? I only paid $10 for my prom dress. I bought it way back in August as I was doing my back to school shopping, so the price was marked way down from the previous prom season. As prom season starts to come to a close, many stores are going to start really marking down the price on prom dresses, so you can get them at a huge discount. My favorite store personally to look for discounted dresses is Debs. They have so many gorgeous dresses, already at the lower end of the price range for prom dresses. You can also consider looking for homecoming dresses on sale here, my homecoming dress was $5 on sale. You can also find huge markdowns on casual clothing at Debs as well. :)

As time goes along, the prices will get lower and lower, but so will the selection. The selection was very small when I bought my dress in August, but I still found a really pretty dress that I loved. If you want to look earlier and have more selection, the markdowns now are still really good, any money saved is good. If you do choose to wait however, you might just find a dress for under $20! 

Don't let a high price tag be the only reason you don't go to prom. Look for discounts after this season and prepare for the next season. Sure your dress will be from the last season, but that doesn't mean it won't look absolutely beautiful. Plus then you'll have a dress that you didn't have to spend a ton of money on. Honestly, nobody will even know the difference unless you tell them, and if you did, they might be very impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment