Saturday, February 2, 2013

Single On Valentines Day?! Don't Bum Out!

I used to absolutely despise Valentines Day. I thought that the holiday was stupid, and I didn't like to see other people celebrating it. I never wanted to go to school and see all the couples get all lovey-dovey on that day, and I always hoped for it to be on a weekend or for school to be called off for a snow day. You could probably say that I was the Ebeneezer Scrooge of Valentines Day. What the heck was my problem?! LOL! 

As you can probably guess, I was single, and I was really young at the time. All I wanted in the middle school, and early high school days was a boyfriend that I could spend Valentines Day with. I was pathetically jealous of all of the happy couples in my school. I didn't understand at the time that there are so many more important things in life than middle school/ high school romance. And I always thought that those couples would be extra affectionate and lovey-dovey on Valentines Day, when in reality, it's pretty much just like any other day. As I got older, and a little more mature, I realized that while it's nice to have a boyfriend, it's not the most important thing in the world. Nor do you need a relationship to celebrate Valentines Day. 

You can celebrate Valentines Day with friends, family, or even all on your own. Show the people you care about some love, and get creative on how to go about it. Make your best friend a card, and maybe even give her a nice candy bar or make her a friendship bracelet. If your school sells Valentines Day treats or flowers, send some to your friends and add a silly note. Make Valentines Day a day for friendship, and have your best friend be your Valentine! 

Have fun with the day. Wear red or pink, and maybe even go for a pink eye shadow look. Wear some accessories with little hearts on them. Treat yourself to a box of chocolates or something special. Buy yourself that romantic book, or any other book, you've had your eye on. Watch a romantic movie, or any movie you'd like. Watch it with friends or on your own. Don't be a humbug and sit around loathing the day like I used to. :)

It's nice to have a special someone to spend Valentines Day with, but you don't need a guy to be happy. What do you like to do for Valentines Day? Do you have any special traditions with friends, or things you like to do? Do you love or hate the day? Do you choose to just ignore it and treat it like any other regular day? Do you have that special someone this year?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment