Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Getting In Touch With Your Inner Child

Like any other young adult, (wait.. I'm an adult? WHAT?!) I enjoy things that well, teens and young adult women like. I enjoy playing with make-up, fashion, social networking, shopping, reading books without pictures, and having more grown up conversations with people. The teen and young adult years certainly have its perks. But sometimes I swear that I'm 19 going on 9. I have so many childish wants and desires, and sometimes I just can't stop myself from acting like I'm 8-years-old. For example, at post-prom I jumped into the ball pit and played on the playground like I did when I was little. I just couldn't help myself... especially when everyone else starting doing the same. The little kid in me just came running right out, LOL!

While on any other day, the place we went to for post-prom wouldn't have even let me into the playground area, there is certainly nothing wrong with getting in touch with your inner child. You don't have to play on the playground or jump into the ball pit to enjoy a little bit of the fun you had when you were young. Although if you get the chance, go for it! Who cares about all those stares? YOLO!  Chances are, those people wan to do the same thing. However, the chances that some places let you onto there playground when your older are really rare. So how can you get in touch with your inner child? 

For me the best way to get in touch with my inner child, without crawling through tunnels on the playground and taking the slide into the ball pit, is to get into some of the simpler things I liked when I was little. Watching old TV shows and movies I loved, reading old books, playing old video games, and even listening to old music. Theres something calming about getting into those things again to me, and I often like picking up on things that I didn't get when I was younger within those old books or TV shows. It gives you a new perspective on it, and it helps you to understand it more and even see more humor in it. Sure it's not the same feeling that you had when you were a little kid watching or reading it, but it is still fun to get away from the serious shows and books sometimes. 

I personally love to tune into channels like NickTOONS or TEENick to watch those shows I loved to watch when I was growing up. NickTOONS shows all of the old cartoons such as Rugrats, Hey Arnold, The Wild Thornberries, Rocket Power, Doug, and so many more! They even show those mini-shows that they used to show during commercials. TEENick has shows such as Zoey 101, Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, Drake and Josh, and others. I love the feeling that I get when I watch these old shows. If you don't have these channels you can always try to find these shows online. You may have to look a bit, but you can find full episodes of so many shows on YouTube. 

It's also fun to go through the collection of kids movies that my family still have on DVD or even VHS, and watch the ones I used to love to watch almost daily. I used to be obsessed with the movie (and book) version of Peter Rabbit when I was little, along with Toy Story, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and the classics such as Snow White and The Lion King. It may take me a moment to remember how to use the VHS player, but it's always enjoyable to watch those old movies. Plus an old movie night sounds like the perfect idea for a night in with friends. I mean, who doesn't love those classic disney movies they grew up with? 

Probably my favorite way to get in touch with my inner child is to read the books I loved in elementary school. Whether it be the books that had only one sentence per page, then a bunch of colorful pictures, or chapter books like the Junie B. Jones series, it's fun to read those old books again. I also like to laugh at how it once took me a week or so to get through a Junie B. Jones book back in 1st or second grade, when I can now read half the whole series in one day.  I also pick up more on the vocabulary used sometimes, and other characters point of view, and how adorable the characters really are! 

There are really so many ways you can get in touch with your inner child. In addition to old shows, movies, and books, I occasionally play those old video games I loved when I was little. If you still have a working GameCube or PlayStation, or even a GameBoy and some old games, take it out and play for a bit! You might find some of the games easier now then you did then, or maybe just as challenging. You may even find them harder if you're way out of practice! I also like to look up some of the old songs I loved when I was younger. I'll often look up songs that I loved from elementary school and middle school, and listen to old movie soundtracks that I have on CD. Listening to music can really take you back sometimes... And it's a nice feeling. 

We all have that little kid inside of us, no matter how much we try to deny it at times. While we may not be able to play like kids again, there is certainly nothing wrong with setting that inner child free once in a while. Look back to those old things you enjoyed during your childhood sometimes. In fact, it may just be the perfect way to brighten a rough day. Don't be afraid to do some of those simple things again once in a while. It truly does bring back that special feeling. 

What do you like to do to get in touch with your inner child?

*Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with or being paid or promoted by any companies or networks mentioned in this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment